About SLIÍ - Independent Living Austria
SLIÖ (Independent Living Austria) is the national interest group of Austria's Independent Living organisations. It is a network of organisations, projects and individuals from all parts of Austria.
Our goal is to achieve the true equality of people with disabilites and the full application of their citizen and human rights. We are active in Austria and on an international level.
Our principles match up with those of the international Independent Living Movement:
- Independence and self-advocacy
Our Motto is: "Nothing about us without us!"
and is reflected in our organisational structures: all initiatives, projects and working groups consist of and are led by people with disabilities.
SLIÍ works to achieve its goals mainly by means of consciousness-raising press releases, and statements on the progress in the implementation of national and international laws in Austria.
Our most recent statements in English:
- September 2013: Side Event NGO-Statement before the UN-Committee's concluding session on Austria (pdf-format, 32 kB)
- September 2013: Commentary on errors in the German Translation of the Convention (pdf-format, 17 kB)
- April 2013: Presentation for the occasion of the side event of the UN Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities on Austria (pdf format, 117 kB)
- July 2010: Statement for the Universal Periodic Review of the Human Rights situation in Austria (pdf format, 250 kB)